Beck Diamond Brokers Presents: Decoding Diamond Clarity
At Beck Diamond Brokers, we believe in empowering our clients with knowledge. To truly appreciate the allure of a diamond, one must delve deep into its clarity, a significant aspect of its overall quality.
The Birth of a Diamond: Nature’s Marvel
Every natural diamond embarks on a fascinating journey, starting deep within the Earth’s mantle. Here, carbon atoms face intense heat and pressure, leading to the birth of a diamond. However, this tumultuous formation process can result in unique internal and external features. Internally, we find ‘inclusions’ and externally, ‘blemishes.’
What Does Clarity Really Mean?
Clarity isn’t about what you can visibly spot on the diamond’s surface. It’s an intricate assessment of the number, size, nature, location, and visibility of these inclusions and blemishes. While the quest for the perfect diamond is common, it’s essential to understand that a completely pure diamond is rare. The nearer a diamond is to this state of purity, the higher its clarity grade.
Navigating the GIA Diamond Clarity Scale
The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) provides a clarity scale that serves as the industry’s touchstone:
- Flawless (FL): Under 10x magnification, these diamonds show no inclusions or blemishes.
- Internally Flawless (IF): They possess no inclusions visible under 10x magnification.
- Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2): These diamonds have inclusions, but they’re challenging even for experienced graders to detect under magnification.
- Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2): Minor inclusions are seen under 10x magnification, but they require effort to identify.
- Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2): These inclusions become noticeable under magnification.
- Included (I1, I2, and I3): At this level, inclusions are evident under 10x magnification and might hinder the diamond’s transparency and brilliance.
Often, many of these inclusions or blemishes are microscopic, escaping the detection of anyone but expert diamond graders. For instance, to an untrained eye, a diamond graded as VS1 and another as SI2 may seem indistinguishable. But, their clarity and hence quality differ significantly.
The Clarity Conundrum: Why It Matters
Understanding diamond clarity is pivotal in recognizing its quality and determining its price. As you explore the world of diamonds, this knowledge ensures you appreciate every facet of the gem and make an informed choice.
At Beck Diamond Brokers, we’re here to guide you every step of the way, ensuring your diamond journey is as brilliant as the gem itself.