Before you sell your gold:
- Shop around. Don’t just go to the first person you see in the newspaper or yellow pages. Check out their website. Ask for some references and then check the references.
- Check the rating they have with Better Business Bureau and are they members.
- Are they active in the Chamber Of Commerce or community?
- Do they have a valid business license?
- How long have they been in business?
- Will they give you a quote over phone on what they are paying per gram? Any good gold buyer should be able to quote a price to the penny. Quotes are always done per gram. If they tell you that they have to see the gold to give you a price, this is an obvious problem as there is no need to see the gold.
- Look over what you are selling. If you have any jewelry that is intricately designed with small gems and diamonds, these pieces of jewelry are very labor intensive and may have more value as jewelry instead of their gold value and can be sold privately.
- If you have a family heirloom piece of jewelry make sure that you are ready to sell it. It will be impossible to retrieve it once it is melted down. Rule of thumb is if you have even the slightest bit of hesitation, hang onto it. You can always sell it at a later date.
- Make sure you are getting value for your diamonds and gems and the company you are selling to have experience in that area. Often good size diamonds can add significant extra value to your gold sales.
- Follow your gut instincts. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t. A professional gold buyer should explain everything to you in detail that they are doing and it should be a very smooth and pleasant transaction.
Clinton Beck is the President of Beck Gold & Diamond Brokers. He has been brokering gold and diamonds for over 20 years. “With gold prices reaching ever higher prices, it is very important that people research where they are selling their gold,” says Beck “a small handful can be worth thousands of dollars so it is important that consumers do their due diligence to find the best value for their gold. We have clients who have been offered several thousand dollars less by gold buyers.”
What Should I Bring?
The following are items you need to bring to sell your scrap gold:
One (1) piece of government-issued picture ID (e.g. driver’s license)
One (1) piece of government-issued ID (e.g. health care card; social insurance card)
The jewellery you plan to sell must belong to you.
We work with the guidance of the Edmonton Police Service – Business Watch International.
Current Gold Price
Current Silver Price
Thank you for meeting with me on Friday and for your professional approach and kind manner. It was a pleasure doing business with you!
I am a student in college and I went to see Mr. Beck about 2 months ago to sell a ring with some small diamonds in it. Mr. Beck advised me that the ring was in excellent condition and I may wish to sell it on Kijiji before selling it for scrap gold as I could possibly get more money for it doing it …
As per our conversation earlier today and the successful sale of my gold, I would like to inform you that I did a price comparison regarding the 18k gold ring I sold you today. There is a gold buyer in Sherwood Park who goes by “Aaron Buys Gold” he claims to buy gold for the highest value in the …
You were absolutely awesome to deal with! I have been busy referring all my friends and I know you have already seen one of the ladies this weekend.
After phoning around I decided to set an appointment with you and another gold buyer who was located in a mall on the south side of Edmonton in a jewellery store. Both you and he seemed the most professional businesses I could find. I went to the jewellery store first. When I arrived I took out my b…
Clinton, I am so happy to have met you. You are a true professional. I felt like I was on the antiques road show when you were explaining everything about my jewellery. Thanks for your help. I look forward to doing business with you in the future.
Mr. Beck came to my house to view a diamond ring that I was trying to sell. I had taken it to a few jewelers who offered me $150.00 and $225.00. A local pawn shop offered me $75.00. I knew that this was a complete rip off. Mr. Beck came to my house and paid me $700.00 for the ring. I was hoping for …
I made several phone calls before booking a few appointments with different Edmonton gold buyers. One thing I noticed that set you apart is that when I was asking different companies about what they were paying for 14K gold, they were very vague, they would say between 14 and 20 dollars. They also s…
I wanted to greatly thank you for assisting me with the purchase of the earrings. I have given them to my wife this week on our 1 year wedding anniversary and she loved them. Based on this purchase and my experience I will certainly be referring businesses your way.
Thank you so much for your patience and kindness when dealing with me. I was not as organized in my sorting as I thought I was. You are truly a gentleman and I really appreciate that you run a very professional business and I have already told family and friends about my experience. It was a pleasur…